VeggieWheat Steam Dumplings
Grated Vegetables 1 cup
Whole Wheat (Aata) 0.75 cup
Semolina (Suji) 3 tbsp
Gram Flour (Besan) 3 tbsp.
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
Ginger 1 tsp (Finely Chopped)
Green Chilli 1 tsp (Finely Chopped)
Ajwain/ Carom seeds 0.5 tsp
Jeera 0.5 tsp
Hing 1 pinch
Red chili Powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp (or according to taste)
Edible Soda 0.5 tsp
Oil 1 tbsp.
Oil 1 tbsp.
Mustard Seeds 2 tsp
Sesame Seeds 2 tsp
- Take all grated vegetables in a deep bowl.
- Add sieved Aata, Suji and Besan, mix well by rubbing your hands.
- In a small bowl mix well turmeric powder, ajwain, jeera, hing, red chilli powder, salt and soda powder.
- Add this to dough with ginger, green chilli, and oil.
- Mix well and make a paste like dough.
- (you might not need to add water as vegetables has sufficient water naturally, but you may add sufficient water if you feel the dough dry)
- Now pour sufficient water in a steamer and let it heat.
- Make small sized balls out of the dough and arrange on the greased plate.
- Now steam these for 20 minutes
- Check if dumplings are cooked with the help of knife or toothpick.If knife does not have batter traces, it means dumplings are ready.
- Keep aside and let it cool completely.
- When cool cut each dumpling into four piece and keep aside.
Now when you want to serve
- Take 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and heat on medium flame.
- When oil is hot enough add mustard seeds and let it cracker.
- Now add sesame seed and fry until golden brown in color.
- Now add dumplings and toss on high flame until change in color.
- Cover the pan and switch off the flame.
- Open in 5 minutes and serve hot with green chutney or tamarind chutney.
Jains or others who don’t eat root vegetables, can cook this recipe without carrot and ginger.
You can use vegetables as per your choice.
Sometimes i use only 1 cup of grated lauki.
For better taste fry it just before serving.
While arranging for straming make sure to leave enough gap as they might double in size.
You can sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves while serving.
Make sure to adjust chilli if you are serving to kids.
You may also use it as a curry while dipped this dumplings in any gravy and enjoy.