Chickpeas/ Choley 1 cup (Soaked overnight)
Salt 1 tsp (or according to taste)
Amla Powder 1 tsp
Ghee 1 tbsp
Asafoetida/ Hing 1 pinch
Jeera 1 tsp
Onion 1 medium
Green Chili 5 medium
Ginger Garlic Paste 2 tsp
Tomato puree 1 cup
Red Chili 1 tsp (or as per your taste buds)
Chole Masala 3 tsp (Store brought)
- Wash and drain choley properly.
- Take a pressure cooker and boil choley with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp amla powder.
- When done mash choley a little bit with a heavy spoon (Fig 1).
- Now take 1 tbsp ghee in another pan and heat on high flame.
- When ghee is hot enough add jeera and hing, let it cracker.
- Then add chopped onion and fry untill pink in color.
- Add Ginger garlic paste and fry.
- Add green chili and fry (Fig 2).
- Add tomato puree and fry til it starts leaving sides (Fig 3).
- Add red chilli powder and chola masala, fry for few minutes.
- Reduce the flame to low and cover the pan for 5 minutes.
- Add boiled choley and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with onion, ginger and green chilis.
- Serve hot with rice, bhature or chapati.
If you do not eat onion you may omit this from recipe and follow the procedure.
While boiling choley add amla powder, it will give dark color as well you may not need to put extra aamcur powder.
Mash them a bit for the gravy texture.
Adjust the chilis according to your taste.
“Be Vegetarian be Happy”
“Live and Let Live”